Wednesday, September 1, 2010

They say you want a revolution

I've read them all, cycling manifestos from Amy Babich's Age of the Bicycle  to the current piece in the lastest issue of Bicycle Times. All share the prospective that gas is soon gone and human powered transportation will be the only way from point A to point B. We already have a revolution. The last time I visited my son in NYC I was overwhelmed at the number of bicycles in use for every purpose immaginable. My own closest city, Burlington, VT is a cornocopia of bicycle traffic from college students to shelter dwellers who carry their worlds posessions between the handlebars and impovised rear rack of a bicycle. I am not Robin Hood is this revolution. I do not rob from the rich and give to the poor. I mearly roam the roads looking for the nickles some can't be bothered with and convert their litter into cash donations to some who can not afford to spare a dime. Though I like to think of myself as a warrior in the front lines of change, fixing bikes for the have not's and collecting cans to convert to cash will not ever get my face on a t-shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment